Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reduce Broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

iolair

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
I'm a newbie to Windows networks, and I've just inherited a Windows 2008 network that seems to have a lot of broadcasts travelling over it. Is there a way to reduce the number of broadcasts? It's like 3 out of 4 packets are broadcasts, and they're ARP requests. Both DNS and WINS are enabled, is that a problem? Thanks in advance.

Joe Broadman

If your environment doesn't need WINS or NetBIOS then you can disable them. Unfortunately some poorly coded applications still exist that require NetBIOS name resolution in order to function properly. Though it does seem strange that such a high percentage of traffic would be broadcast.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

I'm not sure if I need NetBIOS or not, but I've got a way to test that in a lab environment, so I will. Thanks for the tip. Yes, I'd love to be able to do away with WINS. And what I'm seeing are ARP requests mostly on the broadcasts. Not much else in the way of broadcasts. Thanks.

iolair,
Depending on your switching equipment and if you have arp requests for the same devices, you might be able to put in some static ARP entries. We had to do that because of Windows Network Load Balancing and the way our switches handled it.

The Windows NLB issue is well documented, which doesn't help if you don't know to look for it. Once we found that out, though, it greatly reduced traffic.

KMills

Whoa! Thanks, didn't even think to look at that. We have all Cisco switches.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back