Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirecting the output to a web portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpdg

Programmer
May 23, 2005
US
I have an winforms VB application that outputs a string of characters to a serial port and it goes through RS232 port to another computer and writes to a portal on the other computer -- It writes one character at a time. At any rate, there is a device between the 2 computers that emulates a keyboard input.

The reason for this setup is that the invoice information must be input into a web form and submitted -- but we're talking about thousands of submissions. To do this manually would be completely unacceptably slow even for a fast typist. Automation makes filling out these forms go about 500 word per minute -- no human could do that.

The character is output wherever the cursor has focus on the other computer, one by one. I'm not sure whether I'm explaining this clearly, but the basic idea is to automate the typing of data into a web portal (it works extremely well).

However (to make a long story short), the goal is to eliminate the second computer, using extended dual screens. The application and the web portal would be open on the same computer (instead of 2) and output from the winforms application would be directed to the web portal and written where the focus is on the web portal.

The way that I imagine it should work is like this: a process would write text to a stream, but instead of redirecting the text to a file or the console, it would write it to wherever the cursor's focus is (on the portal).

My question is what method could I use to do this? Any suggestions as to how to do this are greatly appreciated.

Couldn't you just use the WinHTTP object to populate the form elements and submit them?

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

Do you know of any samples of how I could implement this? Remember, my application is a Windows based application and I would be posting to a web-based app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back