Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirecting Printers when the Print Server crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrauW

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
US
Hello all,
I am setting up my root domain controller (in a single domain that consists of 4 dcs inclusive the root) as a print servers. All printers are locally installed using a TCP/IP printer port. I then added the network printers to each users profile so that when we go live they don't have any extra work to do. However now in the disaster recovery phase I need to figure out how to allow them printer access when the printer server crashes.
I figured I can configure another dc as the print server and then tell users to manually add the backup printers but I know there must be a simpler way. Is there some way I can create some kind of alias so that the printers saved in each actually refer to the backup?
Please.. I need keyboard level help. Thanks :)

you could keep a logon script on the side to put into a GPO with the net use command to map printers on the alternative server over to the new server if the first print server failed

in other words heres the scenario:

1 made logon script mapping printers (net use) to backup server and set aside
2 installed all printers and shared on second backup print server
3 first print server fails
4 assign script in GPO to users to run synchronously so they cant print before they are mapped
5 that should add all those printers in there

there is also printer pooling.........

Thanks for this suggestion. Unfortunately I cannot use printer pooling because all the printers are different and used for different purposes (e.g. some are used just to print forms on company letterhead etc...).

Not sure what you were talking about with point #4. I looked in policies and there are two areas for printers. One under Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates
->Printers and then again under User Configuration->Control Panel. Please let me know what you were referring to by "GPO to users to run synchronously".

With point 1 do you mean make a script to the effect of
net use f:\\servername\printershare ? How do the already mapped printers know that this is where they should go to? Sounds like the users will still have to add the printers from the backup (which are actually the exact same printers as we only have 3 printers for this small domain) server manually. THANKS A BUNCH! ;-)

You could try to look at a tool called printmig.exe, is found in the NT resource kit, but works fine in W2k. It simply redirects the printer port to a printer on another server if is it installed on the client PC, if i remember correctly.

Hope it helps
Troop

Good suggestions so far...will be trying them out.

hi,
I agree wih the above post technique exposed, but some
correction.

Architecture:

DC1,2,3,4
PRISRV01
PRISRV02
CLIENT1,2,3...X

- Install all printers, via TCP/IP port or LPR,
on both PRISRV

- Create a common script on DC AD, under GPO ecc.

- For each user or all map the shared printers whit
command:

first of all, ping PRISRV1 and if ok say
set PRISRVX=PRISRV01
if it fails => PRISRV02

then
con2prt /d PRISRVX\PRI01
con2prt PRISRVX\PRI02

the con2prt is an utility that you can download from www

bye

interesting. thx. i'll try this out. ;-)

Hi all,
I haven't been successful implementing this. We don't have a dedicated printer server. Actually, our root domain controller is also functioning the main printer server. Therefore, I am not sure if I can implement victorv's command, set PRISRVX=PRISRV01, without negative repercussions.
When I perform a net share, I do see the printer shared names, but I cannot use net use to map to them. I get the following error:

The network resource type is not correct.

Regarding Troopski's recommendation: where can I get this printmig.exe? We don't have the NT resource kit available. And also..if I were to use it, does this mean I have to install it on each individual client PC that is connecting to these printer servers? Can't I set up the redirection from the server side? Or have I missed something?

Hi

I would like u to know that if u have configured print server on ur primary DC than u may face the problem if the spooler service is not responding. For this u will most probably need to restart the server.

Thanks

What I have done so far is that if the root dc has problems but still has network access I can redirect the documents to the printers on the other print server. Here are the instructions from Microsoft:

***To send documents to a printer on a different print server

The printer must already exist and be shared on the print server.

Click Add Port, click Local Port, and then click New Port. Type the name of the other print server and the share name of the shared printer in the following format:

\\other_print_server\share_name

TIP: To send documents to another printer on the SAME print server: Click the port to which the other printer is assigned and then click OK.

ps:Still working on another way for if the main server totally crashes and doesn't have any network access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back