Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirecting Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalmail

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
US
This involves Outlook as well as Exchange, so is slightly off topic. However, I can't get the redirect function (rules wizard) in Outlook to work with an external email address. I can set up the wizard to forward incoming email to another internal recipient, but not to an external one. I am currently trying to redirect new incoming mail to a Custom Recipient that has an external mail address, but this server side function doesn't work. I can configure it manually on the Exchange server no problem, but I need to be able to let the users do this via Outlook.

Do you have automatic replies to the internet disabled in th IMS?

Under the IMS in exchange admin:

Internet Mail Tab,
Advanced Options Button,
Is "Disable automatic replies to the internet" ticked ?

Does "Disable automatic replies to the internet" have to be ticked or not?

I am really struggling with this. How does one set this up in the first place? I need to forward/redirect all emails addressed to an internal mailbox, to a email address externally, e.g hotmail. As in the thread above, how do you set it up manually in Exchange?

Can someone please assist me?

If "Disable Automatic replies to the internet" Is ticked, no mail will be forwarded on as a reply.

OK, thats done.

But how do I forward incoming mail to a custom recipient(external email address) from Exchange 5.5? Do I have to set it up in Outlook's Rules Wizard, or can it be done from Exchange 5.5 - a preferred admin. method! :)

Right, no problem here, you can do it using 5.5's Exchange Administrator :)

Open up exchange administrator and then select File/new Custom Recipient. Now Enter the EXTERNAL email address you wish to send mail to, fill in any other details such as name etc.

Right now back in exchange administrator go into the mailbox properties of the INTERNAL account you wish to forward the mail from, under delivery options tick the box for an alternat recipient and then simply select the external address you made eariler from the list :)

Wow, thanks for your help!

This seems to be the right method, but it is still not working for me, i don't know what I am missing here.

I am trying to send from my yahoo email to internal address, and then this must be forwarded to my hotmail account (as a test). I have entered the custom recipient's (EXTERNAL)address to the INTERNAL recipients alternate list, and ticked "deliver messages to both recipient and alterneate recipient" and still Nothing!!

please, if you have any further suggestions, they are most welcome!

Have you restarted the IMS service since you made the changes ?

Yes I have done that :)

What about the other services, do i maybe need to stop/restart the MTA service, or does it update itself?

I also double checked everything else, like correct SMTP address etc.

In my experience the IMC is the only one you really need to ever restart.

SInce you set up the forwarding to an external account, if you send from an internal account does it get forwarded then ?

Not sure what you mean...

Yes, I can receive the mail from e.g the yahoo mail, and then forward it manually to the hotmail account, no problem

Can you send mail to the internal account thats forwarding, from another internal account and see if that gets forwarded ?

I had to check disable automatic replies to the internet disabled in th IMS because of NDRs. But I have many mailboxes configured to an external e-mail address that now don't work. How can I mantain this delivery options working and stop this mail spamm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back