Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirecting a web address to the localhost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dronealone

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2002
GB
Hello,

I'm looking to have a website served up from IIS 5 / Win2k on the localhost. However I need the website to appear as a full address in the browser. How can I redirect the browser to look at the localhost?

Thanks!

You need to use host headers.

In IIS go to the properties of your web site.

On the Web Site tab click on "Advanced" next to IP Address in the Web Site Identification area.

You will see where you can edit or add "Multiple Identities for this web site. Change the IP Address to the IP of your machine, don't mess with the port setting and then add the name you want that web site to resolve to
You then have to make a "A" record entry in your DNS to route the to that IP address.

Rather than creating a DNS entry, the fact that you want to point to the localhost implies to me that you are accessing the site from the same computer that is serving it. If this is the case, you can add an entry to the Hosts file on the server (winnt/system32/drivers/etc/hosts).

The format would be 127.0.0.1
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back