Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirect mailbox restore problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mUtech

Technical User
Sep 4, 2001
GB
Hi,
I am trying to restore some mail from a backup tape made on Exchange 5.5 with BE SBS 5.5, to a new server with Exchange 2000 using BE SBS 8.6. The new server has a different name and domain.
The problem I am getting is strange, because when I redirect the mail to a current mail box, the correct subdirectories are created, and some of the mail. However many messages have no data and many are skipped. In the job log I see the following type of error:

Access denied to file ?administrator?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Exhibitions?E3?E3 Backwall amend.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Error writing file data.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Error writing to file ?administrator?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Exhibitions?E3?Re: E3 Backwall amend.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I have also tried creating a mailbox with the same name as the mailbox on the original server, but get the same kind of errors.
I've searched the Veritas knowlege base, but non of the articles match my problem. Is what I am attempting possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Richard.

I am going to be restoring mailboxes (hopefully) to a different Exchange server as well. My server died, and after getting it to boot, and Active Directory coming back up, Exchange is hosed. I had to build a new server to get email functional again, and will need to restore the old mailboxes. I was wondering the same thing, can I restore a mailbox to a different exchange server? Both are Win2K, in the same domain.
As a possibility, I was going to build a server with the same domain and name (lab environment) and restore to that server, then export users mail to .pst's and import into the production server.

I think you can only restore one mailbox at a time to a different Exchage server. Check Veritas' KB on their site to make sure. You should probably restore just the information store and that will restore all of your mailboxes.

I built up a new exchange server while my old one was crashed and unrecoverable. I recreated all mailboxes with the same names. I did a restore from Backup Exec to each mailbox, one at a time, redirecting them to the new server.
This was extremely time consuming, as I have 50 user mailboxes, some as large as 500Mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back