Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirect LPT1 to Default Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ednetman

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
A department in our corporation uses and old DOS type program for some of its more critical functions. The way the program is written, it will only print to LPT1. The department has several hundred workstations and many different printers, so pointing LPT1 to a single printer is not an effective solution. I am looking for a way to have LPT1 automatically redirect to the default printer for that particular workstation. I don't mind installing a small client on the desktop to accomplish this. Has anyone had a similar issue, any ideas? Can the mode command be used?

Windows 2000, SP3 printing to varying models of HP LaserJet printers connected directly to the network with their own IP addresses.

If you are runnint a network LAN there's a network command
to redirect a printer port though I've forgotten the exact syntax. It may be listed elsewhere in this forum or another.

I'm sure someone else will put it here.

It's something like
net lpt1 /servername/portname

ednetman
If you do an advanced search for lpt1 in subject line there are 64 hits. You could scan those and see if there's something there that would help you.

command:

from cmd promopt
net use lpt1 \\server\printer /persistent:yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back