Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirect acting wierd in FireFox 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have a banner advert click-through mechanism that works fine for most URLs however, an ad.doubleclick.net URL a provider has given us produces....

(No there is nothing missing, that's all the browser displays)
Object Moved
This document may be found
It is only happening in FireFox.

IE, Chrome & Opera all behave fine and redirect correctly.

Also If I view the page source, it is the contents of the webpage that it is meant to be redirecting to, very odd!

Why is FF doing this?

Thanks,
1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

The destination end point URL isn't 100% valid mark-up

What's weird is if you refresh the page [F5], it then loads correctly.

Do you think these small errors are causing the problem, they don't look very severe, div in a span and a border attribute?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Maybe a second redirect at the destination that might be blocked by some security plugin?
If you refresh, that would be only 1 redirect. [ponder]

Just a shot in the blind there...

ôKnowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.ö (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

It is two redirects, firstly from our site when the advert is clicked to the URL provided by the lender (ad.doubleclick.net), then that tries to redirect to the actual destination URL.

might be blocked by some security plugin?

BINGO! - I have adblock plus installed, so I disabled it and the redirection works correctly.

Nice one MakeItSo, not sure why adblock plus is doing this, it's meant to block adverts not redirections?

At least the mystery is now solved.

Thanks,
1DMF.

Ha! I should play the lottery more often! [tongue]
Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers,
MakeItSo

ôKnowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.ö (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

It's Euro Millions tonight, so it might be worth a punt!

Bit odd that I have adblock plus installed in IE also but this doesn't happen, so it seems to be FF & AdBlock Plus together that causes the problem.

not sure why adblock plus is doing this, it's meant to block adverts not redirections?

What if that redirection is to one of the main advertising companies? (ad.doubleclick.net)

Bit odd that I have adblock plus installed in IE also but this doesn't happen

AdBlock Plus uses different blocking techniques with different browsers. It also may have different subscription preferences between browsers.

Yup, all good points, though I do have the same settings in both browsers, so would expect similar UX.

It's not likely to affect many of our users, as most don't use FireFox let alone have AdBlock Plus installed, so nothing to worry about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back