Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redhat Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveD73

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
Hi,

As your guess from this post im a newbie new to Linux so any help you can offer is great.

I've recently installed Redhat 9 on a PC and im using the X Windows interface. The problem is, it seems to run quite slowly. I've noticed it while loading the basic applications and moving windows around. Im yet to do anything which is processor hungry so I would have expected Redhat to run quite quickly. The PC its running on has the following spec:

2GHz Pentium 4
5GB Swap Partition (high speed drive)
60GB Linux Partition (high speed drive)
512MB Ram
nVidia GeForce4 4600ti (128MB)

With such a high spec machine I don't believe Redhat should be running slowly. During the installation I selected install all packages. Could this be the problem? Is Redhat just slow? Does anyone have any advice on speeding up Redhat?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Yes. The installation auto-detected my Graphics card and Monitor.

No, I haven't installed the drivers from the nVidia website. Over the next couple of days I'll have a go at installing it.

Thanks for the advice,

You disable disable unecessary services from running. A full install would have caused many background services to autostart by default, such as those for servers.

> such as those for servers.

Not only does this eat up a lot of resources, running
services like remote login, apache server, and ftpd
can expose some security holes if they are not properly
configured.

How can I turn services on and off? Is some sort GUI available to do this?

Thanks,

I usually open up a root console window, and type "setup" this has an option to set which services start automatically. I haven't updated recently though, so I can't say for sure if that command is available in RH9. I'm still working in 7.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back