Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redhat Linux Server for Windows network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
I hav windows network with several win2k prof clients and 1 win2k adv server.
I hav installed Redhat linux 9 with samba in one new machine and attached to windows network. All windows pc plus this linux machine can communicate each other.

Now ive heard of people talking about Linux machine as their network server, how do i go on about it? What about the windows active directory users, files, policies? Is there any sites or books wher i can get help?

I find the SWAT wizard does a really good job of getting me up and running, I've never used webmin. install samba-swat from rpm.

depends on what you want the linux box to do as your "network server". If you have a windows advanced server installed, it's most likely (i'm assuming) doing your network/domain authentication, at least.

Are you saying that you want the linux server to do the authentication for your domain/network? If so, yes it could run LDAP (among other things), and you could have all your clients authenticate against that.

They are correct that you will need Samba for a lot of the unix/linux <--> windows communication, like file sharing, printing, etc, but it sounds like you must already have this since you say:

All windows pc plus this linux machine can communicate each other.

What else do you want this linux "network server" to do? Firewalling? DHCP? Mail? There are hundreds of different "network" services that it might be able to provide.

Since this is such a BROAD topic you've opened the can of worms to, I don't know of any books off hand, but I am positive i've found HOWTO's online before for just this sort of thing.

Remember: "When all else fails, you should have google'd it first." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back