Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redhat for Mail Server... Any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisea

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2003
MY
I am setting up a MailServer on Redhat 9.0 and have never done anything like this before (me being a linux novice)

These are the requirements:

mail server (for incoming)
mail relay gateway (for mail-agents connecting to a central gateway for sending out emails)
mail box access

In an ideal environment, we need 3 levels of mailbox access
POP3
IMAP
And Web based access

The best environment will be where emails sits inside a database of some sort, so that we can have a consistent backup/recovery system. For large mail-boxes especially in IMAP and web-based access, the speed of data-access is critical.

As for the mail relay gateway, we need to ensure we have authenticated user access

Any ideas on packages to use? suggestions on the setup etc...

PLEASE HELP

Thanks Chris

use Qmail for SMTP with Vpopmail+Courriermap+Qmailadmin+Sqwebmail. thats it...this is your mailing solution. Your will require other dependent packages like "ezmlm" & "autorespond" etc. For Qmail you will require "daemeon tools" etc. Visit this site for more details on Qmail and for vpopmaila and courriermap which will solve your IMAP and POP3 and Webaccess issues.

Hi!
Linux gives u so many options in every type of servers that you will be wondering which to apply to ur existing system.For mail servers Sendmail/Qmail are the best with pop access alongwith qmail.Tell me how many users you have and only then the appropriate answer I can provide you.I might save you lots of work as I was a newbie to linux about one and half years ago.Mail me ur requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back