Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redhat books

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodno

Programmer
Sep 10, 2002
NO
Need a Redhat server 8(9) book.
Any recommendation?

Thanks

Why? ;)
It's probably better just to get a linux book, rather than a book speciffic to redhat. O'Reilly puts out 2 really good books on this:

Running Linux
Linux Network Administrator's guide

They're meant to be read in the order given. They also put out a book speciffically about redhat (up to 8.0) , but I haven't read it so I don't know if it's any good.

-Venkman

Why? That's a good question, Venkman. Perhaps I should follow your advice and get a book about Linux in general. I have allways been working with Windows servers and now I need to install and administer a Linux(Redhat9)server (hight availability server). I really need a book that will get me up to speed with Linux as fast as possible. When I buy a new book it is important that it covers the latest technology, I don't like to read old editions.

Well, most of the underlying technology in linux hasn't changed very much. There are some key differences in kernel 2.4 vs. 2.2, but most of the books out these days cover only 2.4 or both 2.4 and 2.2. However, things like command line scripting and administering daemons and what not haven't changed all that much; they still have their roots in old Unix.

It depends what you're looking to do with linux. The books I mention give a good overview of everything, but most likely you will want a speciffic book on Apache, MySQL, PHP, Sendmail, or BIND (that's an inclusive or)... depending on what you want to do.

-Venkman

Another good book, but it's a "general" book, offers several subjects about the RH Version you are running. It's call the Red Hat Bible, dont recall the author but it give overviews of how to get stuff working, it does not however hardening the services you turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back