Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RedHat 9 - Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semperfi2004

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2006
US
I loaded Redhat 9 for the frist time today, the server install. For some reason, I can not get the NIC's configured. One NIC is an intergated NIC. on a HPtc4100, "HP NetServer 10/100TX PCI LAN Adapter".. the other NIC I added, it's a PCI 3Com Etherlink XL (3c905b).
the 3c905b, shows up in the Hardware List when adding a NIC to eth1. I also, noticed that it says the IRQ, Memory is all unknown.
Is there something I need to do ? or did I so something wrong ?
When I install Redhat 9, it does picks up a NIC driver for AMD PCnet32 for Eth0, the irq and memory is all unknown.
I'm not sure why it would pick that driver up only. since that is the wrong driver, and I have another NIC the 3c905b, that isn't getting picked up.
again, this is my first time installing redhat and using it.
thank you for your help.

Off the top of my head, you can do 1 of 2 things:

1. Easiest, see if HP has a linux driver for your NIC

2. Modify the kernel. There are plenty of self help web sites on how to do this. Don't fear hacking the kernel, if you make mistakes you can revert back to the previous working version. But the beauty of the kernel is there are many more options to choose from when it comes to supported hardware choices. Plus as you become a kernel hacker, you will be able to remove the "bloat" some linux flavors force on you. A High speed low drag kernel makes for some impressive performance gains!

The Geek

Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back