Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REDHAT 9 AS A PPP SERVER??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSOFT

Technical User
Nov 18, 2001
US
Hi: I have a LAN with 1 Linux (Linux_A)and several windows users that uses telnet to access to the Linux_A and run an application.

Now i need my remote users access to Linux_A, for this i installed a RedHat9 (RH9) with a multimodem board.

What i need to install in RH9 if i need my remote users can access to the application of Linux_A? (My remote users have Win9x)

I need to setup a PPP Server and confir my RH9 as a Router?

Install ppp, mgetty. Configure mgetty to handle modems in inittab "S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D -s 230400 /dev/ttyS0", in the /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.conf uncoment /AutoPPP/... string, create pap-secret. There is alot of HOWTO's how to setup dial-in server.

Uh, just to add a different line of thining, why not open up an SSH server daemon port to the Internet? That way your users can access it using the same accounts that they telnet into it. In fact, you could use SSH clients instead of telnet locally just to make it consistent.

This means that the users can dialup to the Internet (with a local ISP, my ISP ;-), or AOL/MSN/AT&T/Earthlink). Then they fireup an SSH client and "telnet" into the box.

I'm not totally up on the breadth of SSH clients that are free or for fee, but there are tons of SSH clients to choose from. You won't need a lot of additional functionality. And RH9 has an SSH server for free.

PLUS, this way you don't need to pay for phone lines, worry about connection problems, and you can support way more simultaneous connections that you could with only 2 or 4 ppp phone lines.

Good luck

"Surfinbox Shares" - A fundraising program that builds revenue from dialup Internet users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back