Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redhat 8.0 Locks - But still running

Status
Not open for further replies.

qleader

Technical User
Dec 20, 2001
US
This is rather strange. I am running Redhat 8.0 w/ KDE 3.0 on a 1.0 ghz w/ 256md ram, ATI pro rage 128. I am running the samba server and the VSFTPD server. I can run the OS for a day or two days, when I am in an application on using the file manager the GUI,the application locks up. The mouse is still active, meaning I can more the cursor around, but clicking does not work, the keyboard does not work. I can ping the IP of the machine, checks good, I can browse to a shared directory from a WIN2k machine, and login to the ftp server (a little slow when it does this). The linux machine is still running, but I have no use of the desktop or apps. Any clues.

Thanks
David

Well, I don't have a solution for you, but have observed the same thing with KDE3 on Mandrake 9.0. That manchine is running Samba and Apache and I don't often log on locally. So, I changed the runlevel to 3 and only start the GUI when I need to, then exit when I'm done. I suspect it's a KDE problem because I've never heard of this with Gnome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back