Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

redhat 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

floods

MIS
Nov 1, 2001
US
i installed rh7.2 onto a dell box and now have attempted to ditch this version of
rh and install 6.0. the installation process proceeds with no problems; however, the
boot process reports no "inittab file found" and returns "Enter runlevel:"
reqardless which run level i've entered the response is "no more processes left in this runlevel"

question? what steps do i need to resolve this problem or how do i properly install
redhat 6.0 that once held redhat 7.x?

Hi floods,

Let me see if I follow you in the right way

1st. you installed RH 7.2

2nd. you ran the installer of RH 6

Unless you don't want to loose files in the /home directories or configuration files in /etc, I suggest you to re-format the partition where your / mount point will reside in your RH 6 installation.
Please, note that if you have /home or /etc in other partitions, you can leave them untouched, in order to avoid loosing data on them.

Hope this helps
Arlequín
arlequin@montevideo.com.uy

Thank You for your response .... since i no longer wanted any of the prior data
i am presently taking your advice ... used fdisk to repartition and am now re-installing
rh6.0....

okay i have installed rh6.0; however, at boot-up system hangs at LI_
now what?

floods,

Browsing the internet I've found this...

Since then @ boot time LILO hangs, it just says "LI_", I checked the docs
and they say it's because of a BIOS limitation that you have to put LILO on the 1st or 2nd disk in your system. I don't know why it doesn't work cause /dev/sda is the first disk in my system.
Since then I can only boot Linux with my boot disk.

You can access it in the following URL:

Did you installed LILO in the Master Boot Record of your master disk on your first IDE(or SCSI) controller?

Are you sharing the computer with another OS (i.e. MS-Windows)?
Arlequín
arlequin@montevideo.com.uy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back