Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redesigned-site Review 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

cian

Technical User
Oct 11, 2001
Hi guys,
Just redesigned a sports site and i'd like to get your comments on it.
Some links don't work, the drop down doesn't work, the form doesn't work and the content is still only first draft.

Apart from those things can you please give your comments, be harsh!

Thanks guys,
Cian

É ::

Hey Enda,

Wicked Job!!!!

That is a very nice site! I really like it :)

Not going to run it through the mill of checking all browsers and resolution b/c: [A] - It's 1 am and I'm going to bed, LOL and you always make the same remarks in other site reviews, so I'm sure you have that covered.

Again, good job!

Hope this helps!
relax.gif

Cian,

Nice site. The layout and colors look good. It's easy to read and understand. It loads very fast.

Using IE6 and WinXP "did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said."

MrGreed

Very nice, clear, and fast loading (Mac IE 5)

Grasping at straws:
1: Flags on the splash screen are a bit misleading because usually you expect them to lead to a language specific version of the whole site.

2: I would prefer to see the main content either extend to the edges of the browser window, or at least have a clearly defined edge. The masthead in particular looks a little bit lost.

Great to see some GAA up on the web, btw. My own hurling career came to a sudden end many years ago thanks to a misguided sliotar -- this brings it all back! It looks like you're putting a lot of thought into the content, which is highly commendable.

Thanks MrGreed! Good to hear it loads fast, there's a few more images to go in though, so that won't help.
Thanks again,

blueark, grasping at straws is good, keep it comin :)

you're right about the flags, i dream that eventually it will be a trilingual site, definitly bi-lingual. For the time being the message in Finnish and Irish says that the site is an english version

I agree, i originally had it full width but under advisement I made it smaller. I guess I could stick a border around it, might help define the edge?

My own hurling career never really got started, but here it's just for a bit of craic! Thanks for the comments! :)

hey cian, I'm late taking a look, but
(1024* IE 5.5+6 NN6.2+7)

I have to say I looked and looked and loo...
The site is rad!!!
the images are crisp clear.
the functionality is great.
the text sizing is perfect.
it leaves no area for guessing on navigation.
the colors contrast each other perfect.
the header logo is absolutely perfectly sized in the head of the pages.

I think the only thing I could possibly have found to say that is completely trivial is in the finland.htm some of the links get two lines
as in
Game
Equipment

instead of Game Equipment

but as you see on my site as well I gave up on that whole issue. :p [ trivial ]

very impressed and great job! _________________________________________________________
for the best results to your questions: FAQ333-2924
[sub]01001111 01101110 01110000 01101110 01110100[/sub]
onpnt2.gif
[sup] [/sub]

onpnt, thank you thank you for the comments! :)
and for taking the time to check different browsers, i don't have that option unfortunatly.

Hmm, i hate when the links break like that, i don't see it so thanks for pointing it out. I might reword some of the longer ones. Also thinking of dropping it back to 4-5 main links with sub-menus opening in each section.

Thanks again!

The only thing I see, and its just a consistency thing is the splash page and the other pages look like two different sites or at least two different "versions" of the site. I thought maybe I had clicked OUT of your site.

I guess I was expecting some marooon to carry over to the other pages.

Just a small thing.

Great site.

Great site! I thought the site was easy to use and well put together. The navigation on the top and left side made it very easy to find things.

However, I do agree with Kjonnnn. After I entered your sight, the first thing that I noticed is that the color scheme changed. Maroon was such a dominant color on the splash page I expected to see it more on the content pages (I did notice that the rollovers were maroon).

Overall, really great work! Studio6 Designs

Hi Kjonnnn,
yeah, you're right. It's something I am struggling to resolve. I really like the scheme of the splash page (as does the team) but when I use those colours for the content pages it looks dreadful.
I have continued the maroon colours for a members section but it's wont work for the main pages. Back to the drawing board...

Maybe you can continue using the green on the other pages with "splashes" here and there of the maroon.

OR

Put some of the green on the splash page to kind of connect the two. I think the "thing" is that on the splash page the maroon is sooo prominate and bold. Maybe use less maroon on the splash so it doesn't make soo much of an impression.

(I like both colors)

Very nice job! It looks GREAT in IE 6, just ok in Mozilla. Yes i have a new toy now LOL Mozilla doesn't do some of the features that IE 6 does I guess. Oh well, not a huge surpirse.

-pete

Well, if everyone else can nitpick so can I... you forgot to title your splash page :)

Other than that, my only comment is on that maroon switch too... I felt like I misclicked and got taken off site. But you have plenty of constructive points on that.

-Rob

Thanks again guys for the feedback.
I have made a couple of small changes most notably got rid of the maroon. The colour looks like puke but should match a bit better, i HOPE?

Title? Yep, too lazy to fix that at this stage, I usually leave all those things to last, fine tuning etc.

Mozilla? What's the problem with moz??

thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back