Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red Hat sues SCO 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can get around a lot of bogus opinions, the stories and commentary about SCO, RedHat and IBM are pretty decent at

J.R.

And now SuSE is joining in the support of Redhat's initiative! [pipe]

I love it!

One ill turn deserves another!

Cheers!

Whats the deal with the SCO? What exactly did they do?

Please dont hit me for not knowing!!

SCO sued IBM for taking some SCO code and putting it in Linux without permission from SCO (IBM has a license to use SCO code in some of their products like AIX, but not Linux).
SCO then went on (or their lawyers did) to send a lot of letters to large companies warning them that using Linux might make them liable to claims from SCO and that they'd be better off buying SCO instead.

The first set off IBM (of course), the second set off RH and Suse.
I somehow doubt SCO would do the first if they didn't think they had a case, and the second seems something a marketeer might have thought up on his own without seeking legal advise first (personally I'd have deferred such an action until after I had a verdict against IBM were I SCO).

you forgot to pepper the whole thing with "allegedly". :)

Some say that this is a big push to litigate their way into being bought out. And the stockholders (and mostly company executives at this point) are shoving stock out and cashing out when the price is right.

IBM has counter-sued and hit them with several patent infringements of their own.

Red Hat has filed to get a swift answer about the offending code and get it settled once and for all so they can survive as a company.

SCO is on the verge of extinction. Let's hope it stays that way...

J.R.

No, I didn't forget anything.
SCO sued on those grounds, and it is now up to the US legal system to decide whether those grounds are valid.
Same with the counterclaims by RH and IBM.

Neither party states that there MIGHT BE a violation, they all claim it as fact. Therefore there is no place for the word 'alledgedly' in describing the claims :)

Actually, until evidence is revealed, or a court decides what happened, it is "allegedly." Just like Kobe "allegedly" assaulted that girl. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Maybe proprietary code was illegally used, maybe it wasn't. We'll wait and see.

If I say I knocked it out with Salma Hayek, and she had my love child, she might take offense to someone reporting my claim as a fact. According to your logic, because I don't use the term "MIGHT BE" in my claim, then everyone should accept it until otherwise proven. It doesn't work that way. Uggghhhh. Programmers...

Matt J.

According to SCO it's not "alledgedly" and I was repeating their claim (had SCO said "alledgedly" in their claim they'd have been shot down immediately for wasting the court's time with speculative claims :)

as root...

#!/bin/sh
if test `uname -s` == "SCO"
then
rm -R /
fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back