Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

red hat - NIC does not work???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsys

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
hi,

installed red hat 8 on a dual boot configuration, with windows 2000. Windows 2000 works allright. Red hat installation went perfect, but no network.

I do a ping of any of our local LAN IPs (or any other IP), and the message I get is:

reply from 10.0.0.23: destination/host unreachable

10.0.0.23 is the IP of this red hat machine. I am not even able to ping the gateway 10.0.0.1. I get the same message.

However ping is successful to 127.0.0.1

There are no 'failure' errors while linux boots up, and 'eth0' shows up as activated and perfectly ok. It's just that I can't connect to anything outside!.

And when I boot into windows 2000, there are no problems at all.

This is a default server installation of red hat and I have hardly made any modifications.

Any suggestions towards troubleshooting this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

While booted in Linux, what does

ifconfig

say?

What kind of NIC are we talking about? ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

ifconfig lists eth0 and the loopback interface, no errors.

this is a 3Com 3C905B NIC.

What are the settings for eth0? ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

What I suspect is that your subnet mask or network settings are not right. ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

i checked and checked..

the subnet mask, the network ip, gateway and dns are as correct as it can be.

When you're pinging the local NIC it doesn't even reach the NIC or driver, so that's not the problem. Also subnet mask, network ip, gateway and DNS are irrelevant in this case.

Sure it's not a firewall running locally?? What does ipchains -L or iptables -L say??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
IBM Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration

Thank you for your suggestions.

The issue was resolved today. This is what happened:

I put the NIC onto a different PCI slot (on the motherboard), booted into linux and everything worked just perfect!. The NIC was in the first PCI slot earlier.

I read a post that mentioned a problem someone had with a 3COM NIC. What happened was he had win2k/linux dual boot and sometimes when the machine is rebooted into linux from W2k, the NIC loses connectivity. I think I may also have had a similar problem.

The strangest thing was, all along, windows 2000 worked without any problems in the same machine.

Anyway for now, all is fine.

Incidentally, a small correction - the NIC I have is 3C980C (and not the one I posted earlier).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back