Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red hat Linux -configure drive and file system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper911

Technical User
Mar 7, 2007
GB
Apologies but I am basically asking you to wipe my proverbial for me, as Windows guy I have been tasked with some LINUX work which may be simple for LINUX folks but not to me. The request I could do for Windows would be done in minutes but I am stumped.

I did try and learn (spent all day today) I have built myself a test Red hat server and have tried "things" without really not knowing what I am doing but ran into an error when I tried this command

vgextend /dev/volgroup00 /dev/sdb2

"Can't lock dev" was the error...

I have a virtual red hat Linux server, I need to add another virtual drive and then get the Linux os to detect it, format it and then create another filesystem called /upgrade on that newly added drive

I do not know Linux at all. So far I have created a virtual hard drive and added it to the server. I then in terminal run fdisk and I can see the disk but need guidance on every step to achieve my task.

If someone could break it down for me that would be great or if they know of a tutorial that does this, I did find some online but they were above my understanding or did not meet my niche request.

Again apologies for asking too much...

ooh don't be so hard, the guy had the honesty to admit where he was coming from knowledge wise.
(I may not be much better myself)

you are obviously trying to extend an LVM partition & the error suggests to me the cause of failure is that the partition is still mounted.

you may also want to try using system-config-lvm to get a graphical tool
(tunnel X if you are connecting from a remote machine cygwin/xming + putty will enable this from a windoze box)

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Thank you to Anni and IPGuru for your kind words,

I was not sure what I wanted, it turns out I wanted to add an additional hard drive and then put a directory on that, the link provided helped very much.

I thought the requirement was to increase the storage on say the /micky filesystem which is why I had that vgextend command. I may still need to do that for another day.

In windows its a P.O.P

Unlike IPGuru I'm not sure my words qualified as "kind"... but I'm glad you solved the problem.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

No I did not mean your words were kind nor where they unkind - you simply put in a link to which I found useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back