Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red Hat Linux 9 - Cannot telnet to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariab4

Technical User
Jun 14, 2003
US
Just installed RH 9. Cannot telnet to server. I can telnet to it from itself so I do have a listener running and it will spawn a telnetd. Added entries in /etc/hosts to reflect the incoming servers. No firewall rules running at all at the moment. Does anyone have any advice for this?

Thanks, MWB

Open /etc/xinetd.d/telnet and see if it has a line that says disable = yes. If it does, that's a bad thing :)

No, I found that in the book. I have disable = no. I also have /etc/hosts.allow ALL: ALL and /etc/hosts.deny is an empty file after the comments. Anything else?

Also, Please think about it: If disable = yes I wouldn't be able to telnet to it from itself. I just can't get to it from the outside.

Have you tried to run a trace route from the box you are telneting from to the LINUX server and vice versa. Does it know its default router. Are you sure the network configurations are correct?

The problem is firwall most likely. to make sure type "service iptables stop" and try again.

If it is the firewall, then you need to run the firewall config tool and open the port.

However, TELNET is BAD!!! You should use ssh. TELNET is not encrypted and ssh is, and ssh is already most likely a port that is open.

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Found the problem. Not the firewall. Not worried about security as this is an internal test system. We were allowing it to grap IP via DHCP and it was grabbing a used IP address. Set it static and now I'm in. Silly stuff, really.

Many thanks to everyone esp. UNIXROCKS for getting me to snag the networking person to set down and go over the network settings with me. Together we resolved the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back