Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red Hat Enterprise - error occurred during th file system check 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobyduck

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
GB
Help !!

We have a Red Hat enterprise instance, but wished to add some iSCSI storage from our SAN to it.
Now it was all going fine until some muppett tried to set up some iSCSCi storage in LVM, then ticked the box to mount at startup.

Since then, booting the system results in the error 'An Error occurred during the file system check'

I can't find a way to stop the boot process looking this device.

Is there a simple method I could use to at least boot the system ??

As the disk can't be accessed at this point e2fsck has no effect.
Any guidance appreciated...

Not sure about getting around it with a normal startup, but could you either use rescue mode or a liveCD to make modifications to the system? It sounds like an entry has been added to the /etc/fstab file for this device. If you could get a (root) shell on the system, you could then mount the volume and remove this entry.

Thanks Noway2
I kind of expected this to be the case.

I did as you suggested and used vi to edit nd removed the line from the fstab config and it boots up fine.

I'm not particularly up to speed on Linux, so was hoping for a last known good option. At least I know now not to let developers play with base system.

If you do decide to continue with this iSCSI based filesystem at some point, try adding _netdev to the mount options to postpone mounting of that filesystem until network services are available.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back