Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red Hat 9 under VMWARE: Running X 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinRam

MIS
Jan 2, 2001
Hello...

I successfully installed Red Hat 9 under VMware. The instructiosn tell you to install in text mode and not to configure X until you install VMware tools. I did that. Then I followed the instructions to install VMware tools. Looks ok.

Now to get X Windows working, ie the GUI Linux you type a camplital X is that correct? (yes I am a Linux newbie).

The screen goes black and the pointer changes to a X and nothing happens. I can move this X around the screen, but nothin happens. I have left it alone for a while, to see if something would load... no luck.

What can be the problem?

Try 'startx'. It will usually run the system's standard X session, including window manager and common startup stuff. I believe 'X' is just the X server binary. Kind of useless as it is for most purposes. For kicks, you could try to do 'X && xterm'. It would probably start an xterm on your desktop. Then do a 'startgnome' or 'startkde'. Keeps things exciting :)

----
JBR

startx did the trick. Thank you... I have soooo much to learn :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back