Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red Hat 9.0 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nix45

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US

Anyone know why they are releasing 9.0 less than 6 months after 8.0? They haven't even released any 8.x minor releases. I can't find a "what's new" page or anything for RH9.

Chris

This isn't even a patch release 8.x but a full level release. There must be something fundamentally wrong with 8.0 that warranted the jump.

I've seen a lot of problems with RH80 in the testing that I've done on it. Nothing seems to work the way it should. I'm sticking with RH7x or SuSE8x, unless RH gets it act together on this 9 release.

Chris

I think it's a perfecly reasonable to call it version 9 because it's not binary compatible with 8. There'd be tons of confusion if you they called it 8.1.

I agree with sentiments about version 8 being a bit dodgy. I'm sticking with 7.3 - really nice and stable, I think it's the best version by a mile! Version 9? I'm a bit sceptical I must admit.

Not binary compatible?!? What's that supposed to mean??
You basically saying that it's not Linux anymore!!

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Me too i have problem with redhat 89.0 in production environnement [surprise] (specially the rpm command, often the rpm command block and no shell prompt is given !!!), and the Xenvironnement but with 7.3 all is good

I have downloaded the 7 CDs of debain i have heard that it's more stable than redhat, is it right ??

need guru opinions [bigears] thanks in advance.

8.1 was a beta which later become 9.0.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back