Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red Hat 7.3, Auto Log In, Auto LILO, No Input on Startup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lodown

Programmer
Apr 30, 2002
AU
Hi

I am a Newbie to Linux, i just installed Red Hat 7.3 last week, i am wanting to set up linux firewall, which i have nearly finished doing. however i was wondering if there is a way so the machine automatically boots to linux at the LILO screen. (Only linux is installed on this machine, but it still boots to this screen).

And secondly is there anyway, like you can do with Windows 2000, to automatically log in as a user.

Basically i want it to start up without having to have any input from the keyboard.

thanks

Matthew

Edit
Code:
/etc/lilo.conf
, delete the lines with
Code:
timeout=...
and
Code:
prompt
. Save the file, run
Code:
lilo
, and the next time you boot up, there will be no delay. I believe lilo defaults to the first entry in the file, or you can specify the kernel or operating system with a
Code:
default=<path and filename of your kernel>
. All of these options are explained more sanely in the lilo manpage (
Code:
man lilo
).

As far as automatically logging in a user, I don't know. I use Mandrake. It has an option for this. Try
Code:
grep
'ing for autologin in your
Code:
/etc/sysconfig
directory.

Hope that does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back