Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red Crosses on Network disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrymcdonagh

Technical User
Jan 5, 2002
IE
I have win2K network, desktop also w2K.
On my machine only (the problem transferred to new machine yesterday!)the Server disks have a red cross on them when looked at in winexplorer yet they are all accessible without any appearent problems?

The red cross appears when the connection is not fully completed at logon but comes up afterward (which is why you can access it).

I would be checking for either network issues with your workstation (NIC, cable) or your network config (name resolution etc).
New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

I did not mention in my first posting that we do not operate a Domain but a workgroup, we do not operate "active directory" also. Is Active Directory worth having? We hear that many setup problems with this.

Have checked out most of the connection etc settings al seem fine??.

This is a design feature of windows. It will automaticaly close any session that has not been used for 15 minutes hence the red cross. Once you click on the mapped drive again it will send an authentication packet and reconnect to the drive. You can go to the registry and turn this feature off, or increase the time if you need to. I found this to be a big problem with Lotus Notes.

You may have ghosted network connections. Even though the server is running and you are connected to it, the red crosses will show. Make a connection then close and reopen Windows Explorer and the red cross should have disappeared for that connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back