Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recyle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman4000000

Programmer
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hi everyone... I have a problem with the recycle bin, in that it managed to get deleted. ie, it is not on the desktop and can not find it anywhere else... Does anyone know how I can get this back? Also, when I try to delete stuff it still asks if I want to send to the recycle bin (which isn't there) - is this stuff just getting permanently deleted?

Any help would be very much appreciated...

ICE

Hello-

It's very likely that your files are NOT getting permanently deleted. Each local (fixed) disk should contain a hidden folder called "Recycled". This is where files go when you use the RecycleBin. Even if the RecycleBin is no longer on your desktop...chances are deleted files are still going to the Recycled folder on the drive where they originated.

As far as getting the RecycleBin back...I beleive there is a registry key something like HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040...something or other} which should contain all the settings for the RecycleBin. If you're comfortable doing so you can run REGEDIT.EXE (or better...REGEDT32.EXE) and locate this key and recreate your RecycleBin icon on the desktop.

For the best results, start out on the Internet and do a search for key terms like "Recycle Bin" AND "Registry". You'll probably find all kinds of helpful stuff.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Chris

Try creating a file,then delete it, then do a search on the deleted file noting the path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back