Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recycling tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmwut5

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
GB
I have recently upgraded to Legato 6.1.2 from Legato 5.5.3 and have experienced problem with recycling expired volumes.

When a tape expires I recycle it to a scratch pool.

Since the upgrade I have experienced a few errors when recycling a tape say from the Local pool to the scratch pool
and the only way around this is to delete the volume and relabel it as a new tape.

Is this a known issue.

The command I am running is

/opt/networker/bin/nsrjb -LRN -bScratch -S $SLOT

Is there anyway of determining if a volume was written to by Networker 5.5.3 of Networker 6.1.2 ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Can you be more specific as to what errors you are receiving?

nsrjb -LRN -bScratch -S $SLOT

The damon.log file shows the following

07/03/02 15:55:21 nsrd: nsrjb notice: nsrjb -j Laurie -N -O19 -L -R -g -bScratch -f /dev/rmt/stkdlt0 -S 28
07/03/02 15:55:39 nsrd: /dev/rmt/stkdlt0 Verify label operation in progress
07/03/02 15:56:47 nsrd: media warning: /dev/rmt/stkdlt0 reading: I/O error
07/03/02 15:56:53 nsrd: media warning: /dev/rmt/stkdlt0 reading: Tape label read: I/O error
07/03/02 15:56:55 nsrd: /dev/rmt/stkdlt0 Eject operation in progress
07/03/02 15:57:40 nsrd: Jukebox 'Laurie' failed: The volume name does not match what has been inventoried. Plea
se re-inventory
the volume.
07/03/02 15:58:27 nsrd: /dev/rmt/stkdlt0 Verify label operation in progress
07/03/02 15:59:47 nsrd: media warning: /dev/rmt/stkdlt0 reading: I/O error
07/03/02 15:59:53 nsrd: media warning: /dev/rmt/stkdlt0 reading: Tape label read: I/O error
07/03/02 15:59:55 nsrd: /dev/rmt/stkdlt0 Eject operation in progress

I then run
mminfo -q 'volume=1234' -r 'volume,volid'
nsrmm -dV 'volid' from above
nsrjb -LN -b Scratch -S $i -f /dev/rmt/stkdlt0

and this relables the tape.

/opt/networker/bin/mminfo -r "volume,pool,state" -q "volume=$TAPE"

Shows the tape having a state of E - Eligible for Recycling

Regards

Paul

Hi,
we are using Networker 6.1.2 and have similar problems. Networker is trying to relabel recyclable tapes and fails with the error of a duplicate name. After deleting the tape from the Media Index a manual relabeling works.

Until now it works, but it is not a viable solution. Anybody knows about that problem?

Johanes

Does anyone have a script that will check the juke box for tapes that are in recycle status and re-label them with the same label, same pool. I have a six slot jule box that this would realy make my life easyer

Why are you using a scatch pool? You can make pools grab from each other. I had a problem similar with Networker not picking up recyclable volumes I ran nsrim -X and this fixed it. I think a -Y nsrjb will force the relabel but it looks like your jb inventroy is messed up and you don't need the -f quailifier networker figures it out.
This is the script I use for tapes that are unlabeled

nsrjb -i -j L700A |grep ': --*'|cut -f1 -d: >/tmp/invtapesf
sort /tmp/invtapesf -r -o /tmp/invtapes
while read -r slotnum
do
if (test "x$slotnum" != "x" )
then
printf "nsrjb -j L700A -L -S %s -Y -b 'Default'
\n" "$slotnum"
fi
done </tmp/invtapes >/tmp/labeltapes
chmod a+x /tmp/labeltapes