Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recycle bin problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loknar

Technical User
May 13, 2003
US
im having a problem with the winxp recycle bin. the bin is empty but the icon indicates that it is full. when i right click "empty recycle bin" it says: are you sure you want to delete "WINDOWS"?

im now scared to delete anything in the fear that it will take my windows directory with it :/

Hi,

If you double click the recycle bin what comes up in the window?

John

I have had this message come up and being a reckless soul I said "yes" and nothing untoward happened. The recycle bin had no further problems and windows carried on quiet happily.

There is probably a hidden zero byte file called windows in the recycle bin or something similar or just a corrupt file there. In fact there are several folders called "Windows" on your machine (have a look through the username folders).

It is a safe bet that Windows would not delete itself from within the operating system. It would however happily delete another operating systems Windows folder in a dual boot situation.

1. Remove the existing recycling bin, index files, and folder(s). XP will rebuild these anew when restarted.

Start, Run, CMD
type in: rd /s /q C:\RECYCLER
type in: exit

Reboot.

2. Download and apply this registry patch to freshly build registry entries for the Recycler bin and process:

Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin (Line 64)

Now reboot your machine.

jrbarnett: when i open the recycle bin it's empty. but i noticed if i dend a file to the recycle bin and right click empty recycle bin, it says "would you like to delete the 2 files..." so there is another file in there. and i think it's THE windows folder because its the only windows folder in all caps.
bcastner: it says it cannot find C:\recycler i guess you mean c:\recycled :) but anyway it worked, thanx

loknar,

sorry, my Norton AV renames the directory and I always forget the fact.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back