Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recreating PST file folder structure in Exchange mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labone

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2003
GB
Hi,
We are shortly going to be moving the users at one of our Sister companies onto Exchange and want everyone to have an Exchange maibox on the server, which they will see in Outlook. Currently users on that site have their e-mail delivered into individual PST files which they access through Outlook.
When we create an Exchange account for them, I know that we can import their e-mails from their pst files using the Import/export feature in Outlook. But some of the PST files are massive, and much larger than the Exchange mailbox size limit is likely to be.
In this situation, we have decided to leave the PST file as is, and have the users mail delivered to his new Exchange mailbox, but give him sight of his PST file which contains mail upto when we made the change. He would literally start again with the new Exchange mailbox, having the PST file to refer back to.
The problem I know we're going to face is that some users have a complex filing structure within their PST files and are going to expect this same structure to be available to them in the new Exchange mailbox.
Is there a way to import only the File structure (not including the actual e-mails) from the PST file to the Exchange mailbox? I can't see a way to do it in Outlook, but does anyone know about a third party tool that might do this?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

You might be better off to allow them to copy email that they want to save in their file structure into the PST, and only use the exchange mailbox as a temporary storage and receiving area. We insist that our users do that so the mailboxes in Exchange do not grow beyond our capacity. We currently limit users to 100M in the exchange box, so thos who want to keep everything except the kitchen sink have to put them into the PST folders.

Sawedoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back