Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recreatedefpol.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingtmak

Technical User
Apr 5, 2006
CA
Has anyone used this?

I'm in a scenario where a disk corruption caused the active directory to corrupt on both disks of the mirror RAID set.
After recovery, which is doing well so far, I get SceCli event ID 1202, 0x534 warning.
After much research it seems my GPOs files are missing from the %systemRoot%\winnt\sysvol\ folders (gp*.ini, gp*.dom, etc).
I have a backup of the files obtained through a Spinrite disk check.
During recovery, it was found that there was a previous domain controller that was removed w/o proper demotion which was also the owner of the fsmo roles. (I suspect the former IT person created a new DC during a server migration/upgrade and forgot/didn't know to do the demotion as a final step before removing the old server). I performed a Role seizure on all roles and everything seemed to be kosher except for this minor detail.
Within this backed up gp*.ini there are references to the old server. Should I restore this file from backup or use the recreatedefpol.exe tool from Microsoft.
I can only assume that the previous IT person did not do much in altering the GPOs.

This server is a single DC for a SMB client that does not use exchange.

- Jon

If your AD still has a reference to the old server in the metadata you should remove it. Use the script at the end of my FAQ faq96-4733 for an easy way to clean it up.

I would advise that you just create a new policy and not restore since you could be restoring more problems. Do a backup again once you have the new policies in place.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back