Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recreate network path to BE on stand alone PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyN

Programmer
Sep 2, 2000
GB
I have developed a split database for a client although there is currently only a single user. The path to the back end on the client machine is similar to C:\Program Files\Database\BE.mdb. This path can be recreated on my machine in my office so I can easily work on the front end and send it back with no table linking issues. The client now wants to add a user and put the back end in a shared folder on a server. I guess that the path to the back end will now be via a mapped drive letter or a UNC such as \\server\database\BE.mdb. If the client sends me the front end I can change the link path to a local drive on my machine in order to work on the file but the client would then have to relink to their server drive when I send the file back. Is there any way to "create" a network path on my machine which is the same as the client's in order to avoid them having to relink when I send the file back??

I generally use code to prompt the first user to browse for the back-end mdb. However, you might be able to create a "mapped" network drive by using the SUBST command. Take a look at this link

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Duane,

Id very much like a sample of the prompt user to browse for the backend code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back