Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recovery of veritas encapsulated roo disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elemica

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
Hi all

The encapsulated root disk in one our servers needs replacement. Right now the system is working of the root mirror. As far as I am aware the replacement can be accomplished thru vxdiskadm remove disk , replace disk which should start the recovery process. Is there any thing else that needs to be done to make sure that the system will boot of the new root disk?

Comments & suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

hi,

what's the name of your hardware (E450, E280R,...?) -> do you need a systemshutdown to replace disks or are they hotplugable&swapable?

Is the rootdisk (where you have initially installed Solaris) or the mirror out of order? -> mirror just has Veritas Layout - I'm not sure wether this will boot...

Perform a online backup :)

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Hi

Thanks for the response . The hardware is 280R . Not a hotswappable disk. The initial Solaris install was on the rootdisk which failed. I did a graceful shutdown and did the disk recovery steps for vertias failed root disk. Now the disks are in sync . I am booting of the mirror disk . My worry is will the system be able to boot from the recoverd rootdisk?

TIA

Hi elemica,

Seems ur on the right path, system should be able to boot from the root.

> The hardware is 280R . Not a hotswappable disk.

the disks are hotplugable!

The Veritas Guys (and Girls ;) ) are very smart, system will boot from the recovered disk, but it will be a hard job to remove a volume manager configuration from the whole host (if you need to do this some day)

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Hi all

Thanks for all the responses.

Bit confused about the hotpluggable disk. When does it really become hotpluggable?

TIA

"It's Fibre Channel hard disk drive backplane supports hot-plug boot drives."

from
Regards
-- Franz

thank you for the star... :)

Regards
-- Franz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back