Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovery of data off broken ipod

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumnick

Technical User
Jan 3, 2006
GB
Happy new year to all you good people!

Unfortunately for me the new year has not been going too well so far........

i fell asleep whilst listening to my 4th gen ipod and when i awoke i found the poor thing lying on the floor. When i turn my ipod on now i get the apple icon and then an icon showing a folder with an exclamation mark in a triangle. I have tried to plug the ipod into my pc and it is not recognised and i have tried to plug it in in disk mode again to no avail. I am aware that i can restore my ipod to original condition using the ipod updater restore option but i would lose all data. This, in terms of my music collection is not a problem, as i have all the cds already, but i have just recently returned from travelling around europe and i used my ipod as a hard disk to store my travel photos which are obviously irreplaceable. I would like to know if anyone has any bright ideas as to how to recover these photos as they are important to me.
Thanks in advance guys, any help will be greatly appreciated!

brumnick

Since the iPOD has a 1 year warranty, have you contact Apple to see if they can replace your unit and recover your files?

Ephpod is a freeware version of iTunes which has the ability to scan your ipod and rebuild the index/database thus recovering music.

I would imagine though that you are very much out of luck if windows does not recognise the device...

It might be worth investigating if you could get linux to forcibly mount the drive, though I don't know that it can read the iPod file system... I don't actually know what filesystem apple use on the ipod, but I read it once somewhere and I don't think that it was anything that I had ever heard of otherwise...

Goodluck.

Probably too late for you now brumnick but External USB cases are available for the iPod hard drives via Ebay. Ensure it's for a Toshiba 1.8".

I bought one and it works fine via PeeCee; you do need to be careful cracking open the 'Pod though ;)!

It's a must have for @ £10!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back