Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovery from dead RAID 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyphonX

Technical User
Sep 6, 2004
CA

I had an onboard RAID controller, striping 2x200 gig SATA Hard drives. My motherboard was an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe, which had a PROMISE RAID controller. I had the configuration set to stripe (RAID 0)in order to increase disk I/O speed ( what a mistake that was!) and then the RAID Array failed.

I have determined that the hard drives seem to be ok, and that it was the controller that has failed. I purchased another PCI raid controller hoping that I would be able to restore my RAID hassle free; alas, this was not the case. I have since discovered that in order to restore my data, I would need to use the the same model RAID controller, which is no longer an option.

My question is, is it possible to restore my data, perhaps with some recovery software , if I was to set up another RAID (using another RAID controller) with the hard drives? Or something equally simple? I have no inclination to pay an exhorbitant amount to someone to recover my disks.

Thanks you in advance for any and all help.

1. It may be possible to find a replacement motherboard on eBay.com, half.com, or maybe another, such as ubid.com.

You could try to do a google search for the board, or else post the board model # here, and maybe someone here might know of a good place to look, or be willing to help search.

That'd be my first choice, myself.

Otherwise, if you happen to have an extra hard drive that you can setup Windows on, and boot from there, you might could at least try Active Partition Recovery. I'd suggest having yet another hard drive for saving the restored partition(s) to if possible. I'd also first try leaving the RAID 0 array intact with the same motherboard at first, to see if that app can operate well enough to recover from there.

It's okay to run a RAID 0, but you really should only use it for your system, assuming you don't mind reinstalling Windows, and then save important documents/files to a separate drive or redundant RAID array (I normally set "My Documents" to go to a different physical drive, at least, in order to protect against this sort of situation.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back