Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering RAID data

Status
Not open for further replies.

snailworks

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
US
I have an IBM @server xSeries 340 server with a RAID 5 array (Win2K Server). The server will not boot and I need to recover the data.

I would like to know if it is possible to install the pci RAID controller and the drives into a working PC.

I am assuming that the PC will recognize the array - I just have no experience with moving a working array into a new machine. I don't know if the drive data will remain intact.

Have you tried booting up using a recovery CD that is Linux (Knoppix as example) or Windows based (WinPE) (you might need to copy the RAID drivers to it).

You don't say why the server won't boot. If it is because the raid drives are showing defunct, you may be able to get things going again with the IBM ServRaid disk.
Moving the drives to another similar system may allow you to transfer the array but, if you are transferring drives that are already defunct, that is what you will see on the new system.
If the Raid 5 is viable, then itsp1965's suggestion is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back