Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recovering from a harddrive crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

azdolt

MIS
May 20, 2002
US
All,

I have a Windows 2000 Advance Server (domain controller), it had suffered a harddrive failure, so I have to put in a new harddrive. Is there a way to restore the entire system to the way it was? I have a collection of backup tapes using ntbackup, do I install Windows 2000 to the new harddrive and start it in Directory Services Restore Mode?
Do i have to re-install all the apps and just try to restore the data from the tape? or is there a way to restore the whole thing in one shot?

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appericated.

Alan.

I would recommend you to ghost your hard drive in case of another hard drive failure in the future. When that hard drive goes out, you will have a complete copy of another hard drive which you can replace in place of the fail hard drive.

What you can do is reinstall all the application and W2k which is a huge pain or you can do a restore as you suggested. If you don't want to deal with the headaches, I would install w2k and the applications and then restore the data that you need.

Hopefully someone else will respond to your distress call with a better solution.

Trimelater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back