Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering Ex5.5 mailbox from just a server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2002
US
I need to recover a mailbox from backup from an old Exchange 5.5 org from a no-longer existing domain.

I have just the mailbox server, but no DCs. I have restored the information store back to the server, but no Exchange services can start. Basically, this server is the only server still available from the old domain.

Does anyone have a easy way to retrieve the data from the info store for a user?

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

Can you see the PRIV.ebd file. If you can get a copy of Ontrack PowerControls then you can access the ebd file and extract the mailbox you need.

Failing that why not get a spare PC and build it up with the name of your old DC. COnnect them and create a new exchange SA account. use the white paper on changing the sa account and password. change the services to use the new sa and get in that way.

Or just tell them that you were unable to access the old emails. Point out the fact that it is friday afternoon and your going home to get the BBQ ready for the weekend

Hope something out of the above will help you.

Marty

You don't need any of the services to start to use ExMerge on the IS, if I'm not mistaken. Even if you do, the only service required would be the System Attendant, and you should be able to change the account used by the service to the account you're logging in with. If you've never used ExMerge, just search for it at support.microsoft.com (select the advanced search link that is on the right side of the page, and select Exchange 5.5 from the search options). This should allow you to get what you want.

When all else fails, read the book!

ExMerge isn't the soluion here - as it uses a MAPI logon to the store, the IS service needs to be running to run ExMerge against it.

OK, so shouldn't he be able to get the IS and DS running using a local account for the services?

When all else fails, read the book!

Ontrack powercontrols or similar tools from Quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back