Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering emails replaying log files, recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designware

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
Hi,

We had a corrupted Exchange 2003 edb file. We had a backup of the edb and stm files from several days ago. Those backup files are in place and can be mounted and viewed. We have the log files from the days that are missing, but we cannot get the eseutil recovery process to add the emails from those days into our existing database. The syntax we are using is:

Prior to running eseutil we rename the checkpoint file (E00.chk) in the /S location below.

eseutil /R E00 /I /L"Location of Log Files" /D"Location of edb file" /S"Location of checkpoint file"

It states "performing soft recovery", and takes a good amount of time to complete. At the end it states "Operation completed successfully in XXX.X seconds"

But when I open up my Outlook, the emails in the days I'm looking for are not there. The dates on the log files within Windows Explorer are exactly the dates I wish to recover into the Exchange edb file.

We ran eseutil /mh and verified that the database was in a clean shutdown state.

We also ran eseutil /ml on our log files and found that they were all "OK".

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Dale

The first thing I would do is open up OWA, and not Outlook, to make sure that I'm not being misled by cached mode. But otherwise this is a stumper for me. When you look at all the 301 events in the app log, do you see anything strange there or any errors in the app log that aren't being reported during the eseutil operation?

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thanks for the reply ShackDaddy!

I went into OWA, and the missing emails were not included (for me). I took a look at the 301 messages in the Application Log, all look well.

Interesting thing happened though. I let the staff know that they may be missing emails during the specific dates I tried to restore from the logs. Every person has gotten back to me and said they are NOT missing any emails. It is literally just my email account. Now, this is satisfactory because I have a good idea what I'm missing and can get the emails again. Glad everyone else is OK.

I DID find an error message regarding my email account. It said I was over the 250 object limit. (I have several former staff member's email accounts attached to mine so I can monitor incoming emails.) Would this block the recovery process for my particular account?

Thanks again and am curious regarding your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back