Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering email after deleting Outlook Express account 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

malaize2

Technical User
Dec 22, 2004
US
A friend got married and wanted to change her last name on her account in Outlook Express. She deleted her email account and then created a new one with her new last name. After doing this she realized that all of her emails associated with her original account were gone, including wedding pics. To my knowledge she never made any kind of backup of her emails. Is there any way to recover her emails? Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

malaize2

OE stores mail in .dbx files. So, depending on what got changed, you should be able to search for *.dbx to find the files. You will need to include system & hidden files when searching.

Thanks for the reply smah.

Do you know if Outlook Express asks a user who is deleting an account if they want to delete all files associated with that account? Does OE crete these .dbx files automatically or only if you export your mail.

malaize2

That depends (and why I answered the way that I did earlier). What exactly to you mean by 'deleting an account'? If you're referring to Tools, Accounts' Mail Account, no mail is removed - this simply removes the connection to the mail server. If you are referring to removing an identity from File, Manage Identies, then I'm not sure. If you're referring to deleting a Windows user account, then yes, you're prompted to save the user files.

OE creates a set of default .dbx files automatically. These are where the mail is stored. There will be a set for each user of the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back