Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering data from a duff raid 0 array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpeh

Programmer
May 18, 2003
GB
Hi all,

My Highpoint HPT370 raid controller has died and left me with two inaccessible disk drives. I'm not really bothered about getting them back up and running properly, but I'd dearly like to be able to get at the data on the drives. However, I'm a cheapo home user and can't afford to send the things to a proper recovery company so I was wondering if there's any software around that'll run under Win2k and allow me to fake a raid setup for long enough to get the data off these drives and on to another PC? Failing this, can I just bung in another raid card, wire the hard drives up to it, and read the data off? If so, is raid standardised enough for me to use any controller or will I need to stick with Highpoint?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

I assume you mean the controller itself has failed but you do not suspect the drives have failed.
Although I'm not familiar with the Highpoint HPT370, an educated guess is that you will most likely need an identical controller to have any chance of reading the data again.
RAID is fairly standardized as far as the theory behind it, but not it's specific implementations.
Best of luck
/charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back