Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering an Exchange Server causes multiple contact lists in Outlook 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken101

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2003
US
After restoring Exchange 2000 and the mailboxes, all of my Outlook clients; 2003 and 2000; have 2 contact folders. One of the contact folders is OK and the other one gives the following error when it is selected,The address list could not be displayed. The contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you don't have permissions.
Does anyone know how I can delete the second folder? I opened up one of the user mailboxes on the exchange server and there is only one contact folder in it.

I just solved this one yesterday on my own system. In Outlook, go to Tools > E-mail Accounts... > View or change existing directories or address books. Select your Outlook Address Book and Remove it, then Finish.

Go to E-mail Accounts again and this time Add a new directory or address book > Additional Address Books > Outlook Address Book.

You will have to restart Outlook for it to take effect. HTH.

The outlook client stores a reference to the user's contacts folder. It's a data structure called a PR_ENTRYID that is unique for each folder. Removing the OAB service removes the entry from the profile. When you add the OAB service back, it fills the profile entry with the PE_ENTRYID of their current contacts folder.

Gives some details on using ENTRYIDs, and:

Should give you an idea of how to create an application that can get the PR_ENTRYID of a specific folder. To automate the process, you'll need to read the PR_ENTRYID of the new contacts folder, findthe refence to the old folder in HKCU under the profile, and replace it.

If you're into that sort of thing, each value name in the profile registry consists of two parts, the first is a property type and the second is a property tag:

001E300A

001E is PT_STRING8 and 300A is PR_PROVIDER_DLL_NAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back