Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovered Server - Raid 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdam

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2005
CA
Hello all!

I have recently recovered from a total raid 5 array failure. Messy and expensive!

anyway, it's not time to put in the new disks and build a new array. Heres the plan. Put in the new disks and build an new raid-5 array with 2 standby drives called F:. the live data lives on D drive. i want to copy everything from d on to f, then drop d. Then i want to change the drive letter of f to d and recreate the shares etc.

is there anything i need to be concerned with in this plan. Can i change the drive letters without risking damage to or loss of data?

I think you can, if you don't have the Exchange Services running when you make the switch. I'd turn them all off before you start the project.

If you were working with a cluster, there'd be some deeper registry stuff to work out, but I think you are ok, since Exchange uses drive letters, not deeper paths.

ShackDaddy

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were posting this in the Exchange forum. Same advice applies more generally though. Depending on the applications accessing the data, you may or may not be ok with your plan. Chances are you will be ok though. Are you doing any clustering or SQL?

ShackDaddy

Make sure when you copy the files to f: that you retain the NTFS permissions. Use robocopy or something similiar to save you alot of headaches.

John

What about testing tools. set up the new Raid-5, then is there any testing tools so i can sign off on IO stability, performance, Adapter etc. before cutting over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back