Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recover windows key

Status
Not open for further replies.

C3rv32a2

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2011
MX
Is there a way to recover a windows key from the windows.old file?

The thing is like this.

I have a laptop that had the operating system reinstalled with a home edition key, but in the other operating system it had an ultimate edition key.

So is there a way to recover that license?

thanks.

If the ultimate edition was the original OS, then maybe the sticker on the bottom of the laptop has the Ultimate Edition key?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

The laptop came with home edition, and the upgrade to ultimate was bought also, but when they robbed my house they stole the box with license and cd.

I took the laptop for screen repair but they reinstalled the operating system with the key that the label has.

Ahh I see. I don't believe there is any way you can retrieve it short of having Windows restore the Os from the windows.old folder.

It may bring back the screen issue though

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

How to restore previous Windows installation after Windows 7 upgrade

If you have no way to go down the System Repair path to get to the Command Prompt mentioned in the article, you can see if Startup Repair is available via the F8 Safe Mode options screen, or you can type "Create a system repair disc " in the main Help and Support program on the Start Menu and follow the instructions.

What options are available to you to recover the new upgrade key from any E-mail correspondence? You can try approaching Microsoft too.

Replacement product key
To replace a product key, locate the appropriate telephone number by visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
(
How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals

Try one of these and see if it can find it. I've tried a few of these, and it worked for a laptop that had a vista boot issue, that was crashing explorer.exe and displaying a black screen with a blinking cursor. took the drive out, and put it in my dock, ran produkey and got the keys for it, just had to change the source location for the windows.

not that this helps now, but as a future reference:
as soon as i get a new machine loaded and running the way i want it i run Belarc Advisor, save the file on a different machine, and print off the info and save it with my importanat computer papers. it lists all of the software packages installed along with their keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back