Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover Windows 98 after Windows 2000 Pro install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

odat1989

Technical User
Mar 26, 2001
US
I have a machine that has had W2K installed over Win98. For reasons related to speed (never should have upgraded) I'd like to revert back to Win98. Can someone tell me how to go about it without getting into trouble? BTW,file system is still FAT32.

I've been to MS Knowledge Base but could only find info on removal of W2K and reinstall of Win98 AND ALL PROGRAMS. Don't want to reinstall programs if I can help it.

Bob Collister

first off, It's never recommended doing an upgrade on an operating system, it's quick and conveniant, but usually more trouble then it's worth .. it's worth the trouble to do a clean install. you speed problems could simply have been do to your upgrading and not doing a clean install. what are you system specs?

Also, think of it this way, when you upgrade from an operating system doing an upgrade is like applying a bandaid, it doesn't really fix it, it just covers it up. what you're proposing to do is remove that bandaid, and replace it with an already used one. =|

sounds like your already heading towards the road of trouble.

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

As I recall, when you go through the upgrade setup you are prompted to decided if you want to save you Win98 info for this exact eventuality. If you said "yes" to this prompt, then in your add/remove progs section there should be a "Remove Windows 2000 installation" or something similar.

A little hazy on this, as I usually install clean, so anyone feel free to correct my recollection..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back