Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover overwritten file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsfan

Technical User
May 20, 2005
US
Hello friends,

I've really done it myself on this one. I overwrote a file (call it File A) with another file (Call it File B.) and renamed file A as File B. Of course file A is now gone and it's crucial. I cannot find it in the Recycle bin.

Is there any way I can retrieve my file?

TIA

If you didn't delete it it won't be in the recycle bin. Be more specific on what you did (details)

The answer has always been 42

Something like GetDataBack might find an older version of the file stored elsewhere on the drive.

Hello franklin97355, thanks for the reply. Here are the details.

The main file, a WordPerfect file, NewBook.wpd (about 320K) was accidentally overwritten by a second file, Chapter4.wpd (about 22K). The overwrite was done by Chapter4.wpd being SavedAs NewBook.wpd. So I now have two forms of Chapter4.wpd, one with the original name and the other named NewBook.wpd. But of course the original NewBook.wpd file is gone.

There was no Delete involved, it was an overwrite done with the SaveAs. And yes, I was prompted if I wanted to replace the file, and I chose to do so. Duhhhhh.

My system is WinXp with SP2.

Thanks

I have had great success with ontrack software.
with any luck, there was no room to completely overwrite the file in its current physical location, and it had to move it physically to another spot on the disk. The ontrack software will scour your physical disk and find all prior versions that are available and let you recover them.

Be prepared. thier software isnt cheap, but it works VERY well. They have saved my butt (and clients' butts) many times since I bought my copy.

Also, you cant install the software or restore the files to that drive you are dealing with. its possible that anything you write to the disk could overwrite what you are trying to recover. So be prepared to have to involve a second disk.

In addition to cameramonkey's excellent advice, try 'googling' for 'rescue cd'. A bootable rescue CD won't involve installing software that may overwrite the file you are trying to recover.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back