Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recover offline files

Status
Not open for further replies.

danUK

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
NZ
Here is the problem.

Server on small site (5 users) died with HDD failure.

Backup was not working properly (although salvaged most data from tape 6 months old)

After rebuilding the server I dropped the workstations out of their old domain and joined the new. Only to realise that the users had been using offline folders to access files that had been available on the old domain.

The question is:
Is it possible to recover their old offline folders now that they have been disjoined from the old domain?
I know that these reside in %systemroot%\csc, Is there any way that I can retrieve them quickly for the users.

It all depends on if you have made any changes to the Outlook profile on the local machine. If not you may be able to get the data back (Technet Article Q163589).

If changes have been made you can try using 3rd party software such as SCANPST, I have tried it in the past with mixed results.

Thanks ndp001,
I have actually got their mail back and working fine.

Just to clarify - they had set up offline folders from the servers shared folders, mainly .doc & .xls files. I was hoping to be able to get the cached version of these these files back.
I haven't had the chance to have another look at it yet but remember seeing that the location for this cache is the winnt\csc folder on the local machine.
Will hopefully get the chance tommorrow to sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back