Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover from client which no longer exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaiHawkins

Technical User
May 24, 2007
US
I am running Win Srv 2003 with NW 7.2.1

I need to restore from a Client which has now been removed from the backup server.
I have seen on some threads about using Directed Recover, is this recover from the cmd line ?

Any help much appreciated.

You can do a directed recovery from the User GUI or the command line.

If the index information still exist, you can do it right away after you extended the source client's "Remote Access" attributes.

If your index entries have already been deleted, please proceed as follows:
- Create a fake entry for the old client in your hosts file
- Create the old client resource
- Repopulate the media index (and the CFI) with
"scanner -m device" or "scanner -i device", repectively
- Extend the source client's "Remote Access" list
- Initiate the directed recovery

When you recreate the missing client object its crucial that you use the same client id.
If <ou dont have the client id anymore there is one way:
Start the networker user (winworkr.exe) on your backup server.
Make a Saveset recover : select your Backupserver as the source.
You should see lots of savesets named index:client-id.
The client id consists of six hyphen separated octets of hex. numbers.

By comparing the client ids of the existing clients you willidentify the deleted clients.
Restore the saveset and have a look at your nsr\index directory : a directory with the name of client of the restored index will appear.
Repeat this until your disered client is restored.
Recreate your client with the correct client-id.
Now you can check if the the saveset for this client are still in the media db :

Try a new saveset recover with the recoverd client as the source. Query the required volumes if you get volumenames you can restore, if you yield an <unknown> you have to locate the volumes and repopulate the media db using scanne r as described by 605.

if you need a different browsetime not covered by the restored cfi e.g for restoring databases via agents use
nsrck -L7 -t <month/day/year> clientname

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back