Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover deleted folders and files

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedawk

Programmer
Feb 5, 2002
US
I was installing Ch (a C/C++ shell tool). The installing process deleted everything I have after I typed in the installation directory is /home/usr. Everything under /home/usr/ has been removed. This installation is very stupid and dangerous without any warning doing so. Now the problem is how to recovered my directory under the original /home/usr/?

The first thing you need to do in unmount the drive so there are no more writing done onto that drive. If you use the ext2 file system, you can do a web search for "linux undelete" and find tools that can help you. If you're on an ext3 partition, I'm afraid things look pretty doubtful. The reason for this is that ext2 marks the block pointer as unused but ext3 overwrites the block pointer with zeros. This does not mean it is impossible however. Here is something that may give you a glimmer of hope.
I cannot testify to this article but I hope it works for your sake. I know what you're feeling.

my system is FC7. Now it works strangely. For example, I can't open a terminal. I don't know how I can check what file system I had now. Is a workaround when I don't have a terminal?

This is my "mount | column -t" result. It seems it was ext3

[root@localhost stevenh]# mount | column -t
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda2 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

Yeah, I think the switched a while back. In fact I think it was when fedora was still red hat. Anyway I was doing some thinking after I posted that last reply and I think the glimmer of hope just went out. I forgot that you mentioned that it happened during an install of another package. This may have over written those blocks. Well don't give up, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back