Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover Deleted Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsle

Programmer
Jan 21, 2006
US
I've read in several places that when you use dd to image a hard drive, it makes a byte-exact image which will even include the data from files that were recently deleted, but not yet overwritten by newer files.

I found something online about how to undelete files from ext2 file systems, and that for non-ext2 file systems you can run this command on the unmounted drive to try to recover some data from a deleted file:

Code:
grep -a -B[size before] -A[size after] 'text' /dev/[your_partition]

However, that assumes that you know something about the deleted file. Is there a way (preferrably filesystem-independent) for reading through a hard drive's data (or the data of a dd image) and come up with a list of all the files that were deleted?

On Windows there were some undelete programs that would scan the hard drive and, in most cases, be able to find the file names of the deleted files and give you an estimate of how likely it is that the file can be recovered. How would you do this on Linux?

-------------
Cuvou.com | My personal homepage
Project Fearless | My web blog

There is a special version of Linux used for forensic and system recovery called Helix. It should have tools for doing this sort of thing. ext3 has journaling and you may be able to recover the data from teh journal, but ext3 will require special programs.

Keep in mind installing software, creating files or even updates to the the log files can create problems trying to recover data from a drive.

Have a look at:
[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back